1. Processing of visa applications
Visas can currently only be issued if the intended entry is absolutely necessary. The circumstances under which entry is considered to be absolutely necessary are explained in German, English and French on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community under the heading Coronavirus – FAQs and answers, and then under “Travel restrictions/border control”.
2. Simplified procedure for new visas
I. National visa (for long stays; D visa)
The entry restrictions and local lockdown measures may mean that you are not able to use a national visa issued by the Embassy in Kingston prior to the entry into force of the entry restrictions on 17 March 2020 during its period of validity.
As soon as travel is possible again, a new national visa can therefore be issued as part of the simplified procedure upon application. This fast‑track procedure will be available if your date of travel has changed, but the purpose of your stay and destination remain unaltered.
An informal application for the issue of a new visa under a simplified procedure must be submitted to the Embassy in Kingston not later than 31 December 2020. To this end, the contact form can be used. It is possible that up‑to‑date documents proving that the applicant still fulfils the requirements for a visa will have to be submitted. Another interview or appointment booking is not necessary.
II. Schengen visa (for short stays of up to 90 days; C visa)
A new Schengen visa (stays of up to 90 days within a period of 180 days, C visa) can be issued under the simplified procedure in the following two cases:
- If a C visa already issued could not be used due to the COVID‑19 pandemic.
- If an application for a C visa was withdrawn by the applicant due to the entry restrictions imposed as a result of the COVID‑19 pandemic.
However, it is only possible to issue a C visa under the simplified procedure
- in the case of visas with a validity of a maximum of 90 days (i.e. particularly not in the case of multiannual visas).
- The visa must have been originally applied for at the Embassy in Kingston.
- Furthermore, the purpose and destination of the intended trip must not have changed.
An informal application for a new visa under the simplified procedure can still be made up to and including 19.05.2021 at the Embassy in Kingston. To this end, the contact form can be used. It is possible that up‑to‑date documents proving that the applicant still fulfils the requirements for a visa will have to be submitted. In particular, a new declaration of commitment is necessary if more than six months have passed between the date on which the old declaration of commitment was submitted and the date on which the new visa application is submitted. Another interview or appointment booking is not necessary.